October 6, 2014 by Beth Hess
* Pumpkin-shaped Reese’s cups
* Wendy’s Frosty
* Every fast-food restaurant with milkshakes, cookies, and hot apple pies
* Donuts at church
* Cinnamon pretzel at Sam’s
* Sam’s Club sample hawkers
* Fruit Cake (ok, that was an easy pass, but I’m counting it a victory anyway)
* The ice cream aisle
* Candy bars at the check-out line
* Late-night pantry creations
* Giant bags of assorted Halloween candies
* Pumpkin-spice latte
* Frozen yogurt and its array of candy-coated toppings
* Sweet tea
* “Nutrition” bars with dark chocolate
But who’s tracking it, right?!?
I am finding, however, that every “No, Thank you” builds my muscle against the next challenge.
Plus, I’ve had plenty of time for Yes, as well.
Yes to a full weekend of family time with no other plans. Yes to sitting outside in the cool afternoon. Yes to noticing how the October light deepens the beauty of fields in harvest. Yes to reading. Yes to writing. Yes to worship music in the morning. And on the way home. And running through my mind all day.
Yes to connecting with others that have a similar struggle. Yes to letting them know they are not alone. Yes to the hope that there is another way. Yes to old dogs and new tricks.
Yes to feeling hungry and not having to fill it at all costs. Yes to feeling full and stopping without cleaning the plate. Yes to the quiet reconnection of my body and my soul. Yes to them learning to be friends again.
In response to the 31 Day blogging challenge, I will be publishing EVERY DAY in October while I stay sugar-free. You can read previous posts HERE. To be alerted to new posts, please follow me on Facebook or Twitter using the links on the right side of this page. Or Subscribe to get posts sent to your Email. Feel free to Tweet your own experiences with #sugarsoberoctober as well. PLEASE use the comment section to share your own thoughts, questions, or experiences. Like any road, sugar sobriety is one more easily walked with friends. I do my best to reply to every comment.